Candles may be pretty to look at but they are a cause of home fires — and home fire deaths. Remember, a candle is an open flame, which means that it can easily ignite anything that can burn.

If you do burn candles, make sure that you…

• Use candle holders that are sturdy, and won’t tip
over easily.

• Put candle holders on a sturdy, uncluttered surface.

• Light candles carefully. Keep your hair and any loose clothing away from the flame.

• Don’t burn a candle all the way down — put it out before it gets too close to the holder or container.

• Never use a candle if oxygen is used in the home.

• Have flashlights and battery-powered lighting ready to use during a power outage. Never use candles!

*Source: nfpa.org